Indoor air fresheners are commonly used to deodorize rooms and cars. A case of air freshener intoxication by oral ingestion was forwarded to the forensic laboratory to determine the components and cause of death.
The presumptive tests were conducted for organo-phosphorus and organo-chloro compounds, formaldehyde, carbolic acid, drugs and aromatic compounds. Gas Chromatography–Mass Spectroscopy (GC-MS) was used as a confirmatory test for all these compounds. Presence of toxic substances like dichlorvos (2,2 di-chlorovinyl dimethyl phosphate), phenol, formaldehyde, naphthalene was confirmed in the air freshener that led to the person’s death. Laboratory analysis also confirmed the presence of alprazolam in the viscera as per case history.
The methodology used can be utilized as a reference for TLC and GC-MS based analysis of such cases
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.